Leaders lead by being the example, by modelling the positive behavior that is desired. A strong leader influences by articulating a compelling future vision, by making the tough decisions and by encouraging team to stay true to core principles. This kind of leadership requires mental strength. Here are 10 things that mentally strong leaders don’t do:
- Living in the Past. They avoid dwelling on the past. There is strength in acknowledging the past and learning from past experiences but they invest focused energy in creating an optimal present and future.
- Worrying About Pleasing Others. They strive to be kind, fair and to please others where appropriate, but are unafraid to speak up.
- Feeling Sorry for Themselves. They take responsibility for their actions and outcomes, and they understand that life is not always fair. They emerge from difficult situations with self-confidence and gratitude for the lessons learned.
- Avoiding Change. They don’t fear the unknown, nor becoming complacent and stagnant. An environment of change or uncertainty can energize the mentally strong.
- Wasting Energy on Things They Can’t Control. They don’t complain in a bad situation, they recognize that the one thing they can always control is their own response and attitude.
- Fearing Risk. They are willing to take calculated risks after evaluating the facts and objectively weighing the options.
- Making the Same Mistakes Over and Over. They accept full responsibility for past behavior and learns from their mistakes. The ability to be self-reflective in an honest and productive way is a great strength of successful people.
- Giving Up After Failure. They are willing to misstep or err repeatedly, if the learning from “failure” can bring them closer to their goals. Every mistake is a chance to improve and indeed does not constitute failure.
- Feeling the World Owes Them Something. They play the game with no sense of entitlement, prepared to work and succeed on their own merits.
- Expecting Immediate Results. They are “in it for the long haul”. They know better than to expect immediate results. They apply their energy and time in measured doses and they celebrate any increment of success along the way.
Award Winning Business Strategist and Coach.
Helping Professional Service & Project Based Businesses Accelerate Growth.
Click HERE for your free coaching session with me.