Leadership is a key to team effectiveness. In John Maxwell’s 5 levels of Leadership a leader starts at Level 1- the Position level. At level 1 people follow you because they have to – you are the Boss! Level 5, the highest level, is the Respect level. At the respect level people follow you because of who you are and what you represent – a True Leader. To get the most out of your team make sure you are a true leader not just a boss… the differences are:
- A boss sees today; a Leader envisions tomorrow
- A boss relies on authority; a Leader on goodwill
- A boss knows it all; a Leader is always learning.
- A boss talks more; a Leader listens more.
- A boss inspires fear; a Leader instills enthusiasm
- A boss demands model behavior; a Leader models desired behavior
- A boss uses people; a Leader develops people
- A boss takes the credit; a Leader gives it.
- A boss demands respect; a Leader earns respect
- A boss gives answers; a Leader seeks solutions.
- A boss directs; a Leader coaches.
- A boss criticizes; a Leader encourages.
- A boss is all about “me;” a Leader is all about “we.”
- A boss places blame; a Leader takes accountability.
- A boss micro-manages; a Leader delegates
- A boss protects ego; a Leader reveals vulnerability.
- A boss looks to do things right; a Leader looks to do the right things
- A boss demands results; a Leader inspires performance.
- A boss deals with complexity; a Leader deals with Change
- A boss says ‘Go’; a Leader says ‘Let’s Go’
All teams have a boss, but they really need a Leader.
Award Winning Business Strategist and Coach.
Helping Professional Service & Project Based Businesses Accelerate Growth.
Click HERE for your free coaching session with me.